By Merrill Olson
Our present age is troubling because the world is influenced by distortion, deception, and lies in different areas that confront us each day. Unless we have discerning spirits, we will find ourselves succumbing to these destructive influences. However, the tragedy is that many people have surrendered to them. In fact, they have yielded to Satan, the one Jesus calls “a liar” (John 8:44).
What is interesting is the in depth description the Lord gives regarding him. He said, “He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it” (v. 44).
The context is about those who opposed Jesus. As He confronted them, He said, “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do” (v. 44). Their minds were so deceived that it was impossible for them to believe the truth regarding Him and what He spoke about Himself. It is the same way today as it has been since the time of the Lord. People are influenced by deception and lies that are propagated by the evil one who has no truth in him for “he is a liar and the father of it.”
There are at least five areas that Satan’s lies are clearly evident in American society. Yet, the whole world is under his power. The Bible says that the god of this age [Satan] has blinded the unsaved “lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them” (2 Cor. 4:3-4).
(1) Gender neutrality. There are those who are no longer satisfied with the biological gender that God gave them and want to change it. There are even parents that desire the same thing for their children or for themselves. There are also children that are asking to become the opposite sex. All of this is total rebellion against God. The Bible says that God created man “male and female” (Gen. 1:27).
(2) Same-sex marriage. God’s design for marriage is between one man and one woman (Gen. 2:24; Matt. 19:5). Anything else is against God. For people to believe otherwise is to believe a lie produced and empowered by Satan.
(3) Abortion. Over 60,000,000 babies have been murdered in America since abortion became legal. The devil’s lie is “My body is my choice!” This lie is fed by the abortion industry. God gives a vivid description of the unborn (Psalm 139:13-16).
(4) Evolution. This lie has caused an unbelievable amount of damage. It is a man-made theory that has no evidence to back it up. Naturalistic evolution cannot adequately explain the origin of life. God’s Word is the only source (Gen. 1-3).
(5) Relativism. We have a whole culture that believes there is no absolute truth. Truth can be found by man on his own. There are many ways to God. These lies doom people to hell. There is only one way to truth and that way is Jesus Christ (John 14:6).
Merrill Olson served as a senior pastor for thirty-four years. He received a B.S. from Minnesota State University-Mankato, an M. Div. from Bethel Theological Seminary, and a D. Min. from Columbia Evangelical Seminary. He is currently involved as an interim pastor along with a teaching and writing ministry. His emphasis is on apologetics and training believers to defend their faith in Christ from God’s Word. He is well versed in Bible prophecy as it pertains to end times. He is a gifted speaker with the conviction that only by the Word of God can people experience inward transformation by the Holy Spirit. He has been married to his wife, Jan, for many years and resides in Minnesota.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.